Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday Inspiration - Erin Endicott's Healing Sutras

Detail of Healing Sutra #15


If you love doing any type of fiber work, you probably know the feeling of peace that comes when you are finally able to sit down with your yarn or thread and begin working on a favorite stitch or an intriguing new pattern.  This is one of the big draws for me - I'm sure there's research out there about endorphin levels rising!  So I totally get Erin Endicott's Healing Sutras.

Healing Sutra #11
Erin takes antique clothes and fabrics that belonged to women in her family (you know - the ones that are kept in boxes under beds and in closets and only brought out for occasional viewing) and gives them new life by using embroidery thread, beads, and walnut ink to record her visions of pain, wounds, memories and healing.  She writes, "... it comes down to the stitches.  One stitch at a time, hour after hour ... this is where the healing lies."


Healing Sutra #7




I learned that in Sanskrit, sutra literally means "to stitch; a thread or line that holds things together."  I love the vision of generations of women connected by this stitching.


Healing Sutras was shown at Anagnorisis Fine Arts in New York City last fall.  Erin's next show will be Transforming Touch at River House Arts in Perrysburg, Ohio from May 6 - June 5, 2011.  I can't wait to see her new work!

Be sure to see more on Erin's website.





And in a side note --

Today I'm celebrating my 100th post!  That hardly seemed possible last July when I began.  Thank you to everyone who follows along with me on my fiber adventures!

Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment