Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Wednesday Sewing - Adding a Neck Placket Or What To Do When Your Toddler Thinks She's Being Smothered
Little c truly loves Elmo and one of her aunts found this great Valentine's Day shirt for her. One problem - the neck opening was too small. And little c does NOT like to have anything squished over her head! The good news is, it's really easy to add a neck placket to T's.
*shirt with a too tight neck
*small piece of matching (or close) fabric
*small piece of 1/8 inch elastic
1. Using a seam ripper, take off any tags.
2. Cut a piece of matching or coordinating fabric (about 2 x 3 inches or the size you need to give you enough to make the size opening you need). Iron the top edge down about 1/4 inch, fold over again and sew in place. Zigzag stitch around the other edges.
3. Pin onto the center of the neck back, matching top edges. Draw a long, narrow V from the top down as long as needed to make the neck opening the size you need.
4. Stitch the V. Go back over the stitching a second time and cut open.
5. Turn placket to inside, pin in place and sew close to the edges.
6. Cut a small piece of elastic, fold it in half and stitch to the inside of one side of the neck placket.
7. Sew a button on the other side of the placket.
Now there'll be a happy little c!
Happy Creating! Deborah