Monday, November 22, 2010
Monday Project - Layered Felt Christmas Ornaments
Next weekend our house will transform into Christmas Central - I love this time of the year! I like to have new handmade ornaments to add to the tree each year. This year I designed three from layered felt with the North Pole as a theme.
*assorted colors of felt
*assorted colors of embroidery thread
* beads - I used clear with a silver center on the North Pole and pearl beads on the reindeer
*a small amount of 1/8 inch ribbon - I make small loops and use an ornament hanger, but you can also use more and have a longer ribbon hanger
* Patterns - download here
If you have not made layered felt ornaments before or want a review, look at this past post. It also have instructions for the basic embroidery stitches I use.
Attach all pieces with a blanket stitch. I used two strands of embroidery thread through out, except for the embroidered features where I used four strands.
Print out two copies of the patterns. One you'll be cutting apart and the other you'll use to see where pieces go. Cut each piece out on the outside lines.
1. Cut two of the whole pattern from white. Cut out the top ball and cut one from sparkly white. Cut out the sign and cut one from beige. Cut out the stripes and cut one each from red.
2. Sew the top ball on with a blanket stitch on the bottom side only. Leave the outer edges unsewn. In a spiral, sew clear beads on individually.
3. Sew sign on top and bottom edges, leaving sides unsewn. Sew red stripes on the same way. Using gold embroidery thread, embroidery "North Pole."
4. Attach front to back, inserting a ribbon at the top.
1. Cut one of entire pattern and one of entire pattern except for the antlers from brown. Cut out the antlers and cut one from beige. Cut the harness straps out and cut one each from dark green. Add a small amount to the inside short edge of the chest harness so it will go under the stomach harness. Cut out the hooves and cut one each from black.
2. Sew on chest harness, leaving the two short edges unsewn.
3. Attach stomach harness, leaving the edges unsewn, and sew pearl beads to both harnesses. Attach hooves leaving the edges unsewn. Cut a small red circle and attach to nose, leaving edge unsewn. Embroider face with a french knot eye and outline stitch mouth using four strands of thread for all.
4. Sew antlers onto the back pattern piece.
5. Attach front to back adding a ribbon loop. I used a variegated brown.
1. Cut two complete patterns from dark red. Cut a square of felt for face, adding enough to each side so it will go under the beard and hat trim. Cut out the hat trim and sleeve cuffs and cut one each from white. Cut out the robe trim and cut one each from white, adding enough to the inside edge of Santa's left trim so it will go under the right trim and enough to the top of the right piece so it will go under the beard . Cut out shoes and cut two from black. Cut out mittens and cut one each from black, adding enough to the tops so they will go under sleeve cuffs. Cut out beard with nose and mustache still attached and cut one from white, adding enough to the top edges of the beard so it will go under the hat trim. Cut out nose and mustache and cut one from white.
2. Sew on the left robe trim, leaving the outer edges unsewn. Attach the right robe trim leaving the outer edges unsewn. Attach the face square with a small drop of glue.
3. Attach beard, leaving top edges and outer edges unsewn.
4. Attach hat trim, leaving outer edges unsewn. Attach nose/mustache piece, leaving nose area unsewn.
5. Attach boots and mittens.
6. Cut a small circle from pink and attach as nose. Attach sleeve cuffs, leaving outer edges unsewn.
7. With four strands of thread, add arm lines and eyebrows with an outline stitch and eyes with french knots.
8. Attach front to back - I used a variegated dark red thread - and add a ribbon loop.
Happy Creating! Deborah